Age or an important weight fluctuation may cause fat accumulation and loosening of the skin in the inner part of the thigh. Lift surgery in the thighs aims to remove excess skin and fat in order to restore an aesthetic and harmonious contour to your thighs.
Getting ready for a thigh lift
During the consultation we will determine the degree of skin loosening and the amount of excess fat. If needed, the surgery may be combined with liposuction. The incision is generally in the groin area and passes behind the thigh, in the fold of the buttock.
It is essential to stop smoking six weeks before and after the surgery. This measure reduces chances of delayed healing. Delayed healing is also more frequent in patients with diabetes or who are overweight.
Thigh lift: surgery
This day surgery lasts between one and two hours and is performed under general anesthesia. After the surgery, a dressing and a compressive garment will be placed on the incisions. A small drainage pipe will be also placed on the side of each thigh.
Recovery after a thigh lift
This surgery causes moderate pain that is treated with prescribed medication and rest. The dressing must be kept dry and intact until the first post operatory consultation one week after the surgery. The dressing and the drainage pipes will be removed during this consultation. After the first post operatory consultation, you can start taking showers again. You must wear the compression garment day and night for three weeks and during the day for another three weeks. The rest of the postoperative consultations are generally scheduled three weeks and three months after the surgery and afterwards as required. Intense physical activity must be avoided for the first six weeks. If your work does not require any physical activity you will be able to return after a few weeks, but it is recommended to stop working for three to four weeks. The thighs may remain swollen for a while after the surgery. The final result is normally achieved three to six months after the surgery but it is possible that the scars display some redness and thickness for six to twelve months. The results of a thigh lift are long term.
- Infection: Can be prevented by strict hygiene before and after surgery. Rare infections are usually successfully treated with antibiotics.
- Seroma: Liquid can sometimes accumulate after drain removal. This liquid can cause swelling or redness of the thigh and may have to be evacuated by a puncture.
- Bleeding: Rare, can sometimes require surgery to remove the blood that accumulates in the thigh. This complication can sometimes be due to strenuous exercise short time after surgery
- Healing problems: Some patients may develop hypertrophic scars or keloids following this surgery. These scars are treated with massage, silicone dressings or injections. The scars can also widen after surgery or present white or dark discoloration. These imperfections can be corrected if necessary 1 year after surgery. In cases of excessive tension scars can move down and become more visible.
- Sensitivity: The skin on the inside of the thigh may be insensitive for a period of about 3 months after surgery. You may also notice small areas of numbness around the scars. These symptoms usually disappear gradually but can be permanent in rare patients.
- Delayed healing: Some patients may have an opening of the wound or skin necrosis. These situations occur primarily in patients with diabetes or smokers. These wounds are treated by dressing changes. They will eventually heal but will leave a larger scar.
- Asymmetry: Asymmetry in the position of the scars or in the form of the thigh may be noted. If deemed necessary a correction can be made one year after surgery.
- How much does it cost to get a thigh lift in Montreal?
Between $ 6,000 and $8,000.
- What is the fee for a thigh lift consultation in Montreal?
$100 for 45 minutes.
- Are there any financing plans to get a thigh lift in Montreal?
Yes. We can refer you to some financial institutions offering interest rates from 9,95% to 25.66% according to your credit rating, including the possibility to break down payments over a period of 6 months to 5 years. Loans are open and payable at any time. Although we do not encourage debt, we recommend this solution instead of the use of credit cards, which generally have higher interest rates.
- How long does pain remain after a thigh lift surgery?
Tolerance to pain is different for every patient. After approximately five days pain stops, but discomfort or a nagging sensation in the things may linger when in movement. These sensations may linger for up to six weeks, especially when doing physical activity.
- When will I be able to drive again?
You can drive once you stop taking the prescription drugs and when movement no longer causes any pain.
- When will I be able to take a shower?
Unless otherwise indicated, you will be able to take a shower after the removal of the drainage pipes.
- When will I be able to take a bath, go to a spa or swim?
With the physician’s authorization, immersion in water is possible three weeks after the surgery.
- What is the recovery time after a thigh lift?
The bruises usually disappear in a week or two. The swelling could take up to three months to disappear. You will notice a major improvement by the time of your first post operatory consultation. The appearance of your thighs will continue to improve as you recover and you will be able to appreciate the definitive results approximately three months after the surgery.
- What happens if I have an emergency outside office hours?
After the surgery we will provide you with emergency numbers.
- When will the stitches be removed?
The sutures are melting stitches, so there is no need to have them removed. The small knots on the sides of the scars may take longer to fall. If that is the case, they will be removed in the post operatory consultation two weeks after the surgery.