Breast lift or mastopexy is advised for patients who are satisfied with the size of their breasts but wish to enhance their shape. Aging, weight loss or pregnancy may cause sagging breasts, resulting in fallen nipples, loosening of the skin, and a loss of volume in the upper part of the breast. Breast lift makes it possible to reposition the nipple to the center of the breast, to decrease the diameter of the nipple, and to provide roundness and firmness to the breast while removing the excess skin and keeping the volume of the breast the same. This surgery may be combined with a breast augmentation if you wish to give your breasts a younger look while augmenting their volume.
Getting ready for a breast lift
If you are over 40, a mammography is recommended before the surgery in order to check the condition of your breasts. We will also provide you with a prescription to buy a bra that you must wear after the surgery.
During the consultation, we will examine your breasts and decide which surgical technique suits you best. Three kinds of incisions could be performed in order to lift the breasts. Normally, the lower the nipple, the more incisions are performed.
Periareolar: incision around the nipple use to correct a minor fall of the breasts.
Vertical: periareolar and vertical incision. To correct a moderate fall of the breasts.
”T” shape: periareolar, vertical and under the breast incisions. To correct an important fall of the breasts.
It is essential to stop smoking six weeks before and after the surgery. This measure reduces chances of delayed healing. Delayed healing is also more frequent in patients with diabetes or who are overweight.
Breast lift: surgery
Recovery after a breast lift
This surgery causes moderate pain which is easily controlled with prescribed medication. Your breasts will be swollen and you will feel a light pain during the first days. The dressing must be kept dry and intact for the first post operatory consultation five days after the surgery, after which it will be removed and replaced by a support bra that you will have to wear for six weeks. The rest of the postoperative consultations are generally scheduled three weeks, three months and one year after the surgery. During the consultation three weeks after the surgery, the dressing will be removed and you must start massaging the scars. Intense physical activity must be avoided for six weeks. If your work does not require any physical activity you will be able to return after a few days. It is possible for the swelling to linger some time after the surgery. The final result is normally achieved two to three months after the surgery, but it is possible for the scars to display some redness for six to twelve months.
- Infection: Very rare, usually successfully treated with antibiotics.
- Bleeding: Very rare, can sometimes require surgery to remove the blood that accumulates in the breast. This complication can sometimes be due to a strenuous exercise short time after surgery
- Healing problems: Some patients may develop hypertrophic scars or keloids following this surgery. These scars are treated with massage, silicone dressings or injections. The scars can also widen after surgery or present white or dark discoloration. These imperfections can be corrected if necessary 1 year after surgery.
- Asymmetry: Some asymmetries can be noted in the position and shape of the areola or
the volume or shape of the breast. If I deem relevant, these imperfections can be corrected under local anesthesia one year after surgery.
- Sensitivity: Some women report that their nipples become oversensitive, less sensitive or insensitive after surgery. You may also notice small areas of numbness around the scars. These symptoms usually disappear gradually but can be permanent in rare patients.
- Delayed healing: Some patients may have an opening of some wounds or skin necrosis. These situations occur primarily in patients with diabetes or smokers. These wounds are usually treat by dressing changes and heal alone but will often leave a larger scar.
- How much does it cost to get a breast lift in Montreal?
$2,500 for a periareolar lift and and $5,500 for a complete lift.
- What is the fee for a breast lift consultation in Montreal?
$100 for a 45 minutes consultation.
- Are there any financing plans available for breast lift in Montreal?
Yes. We can refer you to some financial institutions offering interest rates from 9,95% to 25.66% according to your credit rating, including the possibility to break down payments over a period of 6 months to 5 years. Loans are open and payable at any time. Although we do not encourage debt, we recommend this solution instead of the use of credit cards, which generally have higher interest rates.
- When can I start physical exercise?
You must wait six weeks before starting any intense physical activity. It is recommended to start with exercises progressively after the surgery.
- How long does pain last after surgery?
Tolerance to pain is different in every patient. After approximately five days pain stops, but discomfort or a nagging sensation may remain when in movement. These sensations may linger for a few weeks, especially when doing physical activity.
- When will I be able to drive again?
You can drive once you stop taking the prescription drugs and when movement no longer causes any pain.
- When will I be able to have sexual intercourse after surgery?
You can restart sexual activity as soon as you feel comfortable. It is recommended to wait for at least two weeks to allow for the healing of the incisions and to avoid the risk of opening the wounds.
- When will I be able to take a shower?
Unless otherwise indicated, you will be able to take a shower after the removal of the dressings 1 week after surgery.
- When will I be able to take a bath, go to a spa or swim?
With the physician’s authorization, immersion in water is possible three weeks after the surgery.
- What is the recovery time for these surgeries?
The pain usually disappear in a week. The swelling lingers more and could take up to two months to disappear.
- What happens if I have an emergency outside office hours?
After the surgery we will provide you with emergency numbers.
- When will the stitches be removed?
The sutures are melting stitches, so there is no need to have them removed. The small knots on the sides of the scars may take longer to fall. If that is the case, they will be removed in the post operatory consultation 3 weeks after the surgery.
- When will I be able to use underwire bras?
You can use them two months after the surgery.
- Are the results of this procedure are sustainable?
This procedure produces quite durable but not permanent effects. The effects of gravity, aging or significant changes in weight could possibly be noticeable. Women who have breast augmentation with their breast lift can benefit from firm breasts for a longer period.
- Is it possible to breastfeed after the procedure?
Yes. Breastfeeding should be possible after a breast lift. It should be note that a large variation in breast size during pregnancy can stretch the skin and make the results of a mastopexy less durable.
Before & After
Those pictures will highlight the differences before and after the procedure.